Demkeys

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jun 4, 2014
YouTube
abhinav_Demkeys
So, I'm sure many of you (even those of you who don't have a Let's Play channel) have played video games. A lot of video games have stories in them. Some video games are actually story-based, where they provide you with a back story, and then the gameplay starts, and the story progresses as you progress in the game. An example, Child of Light.
In your opinion, what approach should a writer take, when trying to write a story for this kind of a video game?

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
So, I'm sure many of you (even those of you who don't have a Let's Play channel) have played video games. A lot of video games have stories in them. Some video games are actually story-based, where they provide you with a back story, and then the gameplay starts, and the story progresses as you progress in the game. An example, Child of Light.
In your opinion, what approach should a writer take, when trying to write a story for this kind of a video game?
I have not played Child of Light but in the terms of Story in games i can think of how much work it is to build something like that. What amazes me is how someone comes up with the idea to make game X with story X and how that unfolds into a game with so many gamplay. I for example love the story in Final Fantasy games, the drama, the love, the bonds that are made and get broken is something wonderfull :)

Reactions: Demkeys

Steam Controller Gaming

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Oct 1, 2016
YouTube
If I were going to write for a game like that I would have to have an outline. Something that tells me what I want to tell the audience before they play, and how far along each part of the story should be delivered, along with how much should be told at the time, etc...

Good games dole out the story in small increments as you progress, in order to keep you wanting to play, not just for the gameplay, but to find out what is going to happen next. For me, I would have to have all of that mapped out, including a basic idea of the game and when and where the story would fit into a specific section of the game, etc...

The best suggestion I have is to dole out the story like a drug dealer, lol. Give it to the audience in small doses throughout the whole game in order to leave them wanting more after each bit of story got finished.

Showcase One

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Jan 12, 2016
Australia
tldr.tk
YouTube
I'm a game developer and I'm currently working on a game with another freedom partner.
When writing these are the things you wanna have, for story based games:
  • Summary of the Plot
  • Breif outline of events (an event is a major thing in the story that takes place)
  • Breif outline of charecter parts in each event.
  • A detailed event script, this could be done as a flowchart to show each event and what happens in he story.
  • Break it down into each event and start writing the detailed script.
  • Don't be afraid just to get started and change things as you go as this happens heaps.