No comments have been found at this time

Details

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:05 AM
Posted by zeke morgan
Review for A Way Out (2018)

A Way Out (2018) offers a tailored and unique co-op experience, whilst playing split-screen or online, and manages to stand out whilst offering no single player experience. Whilst this might unsettle, and put off some players, it’s worth noting this would be the second game directed by Joseph Fares, after Brothers A Tale of Two Sons, and I think we can all agree on how great that game was.

Anyway back to ‘A Way Out (2018)’ which follows two prisoners, called Leo and Vincent - both of which have different mannerisms, dialogue choices and solutions to the in game choices presented to the player.

Whilst its roughly six hour story starts out like a Prison Break imitation it soon develops into a revenge subplot as both characters have their own reasons for defeating the main antagonist. The story ebbs and flows nicely and plays as a nice theatrical experience, especially during the cutscenes, but its the ability to move and explore independently that really helps ’A Way Out (2018)’ to stand out.

Even little things such as interacting with NPC’s can be entertaining as both Leo and Vincent handle them differently, quite a few times I found myself almost forcing my co-op buddy to speak with a NPC just to see how their conversations would play out.

‘A Way Out (2018)’ also features smaller co-op actions outside of the main story driven experience, from things as trivial as busting down a door, to lifting a log or even maneuvering fish. Additionally this allows players a whole host of optional and extra activities to do from playing darts, driving cars, arm-wrestling or even playing connect four.

What really surprised me with ‘A Way Out (2018)’ is it’s genre transcending narrative as sometimes your using stealth to take out guards one moment and then beating up people in a 2.5D side scroller which really helped keep the game feeling fresh.

Indeed it’s often ‘A Way Outs (2018)’ cinematic moments that help define it, for example the unbroken camera shot, as the pair are escaping from a hospital is beautifully done even as controls are traded back and forth between the characters.

Ultimately ‘A Way Out (2018)’ really made me feel for Leo and Vincent and the surprising ending really caught me off guard - oh and lets not forget the two different endings which further adds replayability.

If you enjoyed this review, and found it helpful then why not leave a like, comment, share and subscribe, also don’t forget to hit that notification icon so you never miss a video.
0     0     1,739