Fraps yay or neigh?

SynchronizedRapture

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 7, 2016
YouTube
Would you recommend Fraps? I ask because recording fullscreen with OBS Studio messes up for me no matter what. Plus I've heard pretty good things about Fraps but I figured I'd ask cause maybe someone here has used it and can answer my inquiry.

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Meh - It's an good recording software but it kills your framerate if you don't have the hardware to deal with it.
I recommend changing the setting on OBS to monitor capture rather than game capture.

USB

Rising User
Jun 12, 2015
YouTube
If you have an Nvidia graphics card I would recommend shadow play for solo gameplay. If your playing games with your friends in a skype or ts call I would recommend using a virtual audio cable with Dxtory. Dxtory is (in my opinion) better than Fraps and has more control over settings with both audio and video. I also have been told that if you have to hardware and an Nvidia gpu that OBS Studio is really good. over all they all give you roughly the same look if you configure them properly and the only difference is frame dropping(for the most part)

ItsRilex

Rising User
Dec 22, 2015
USA
YouTube
By far OBS is my favorite it comes down to how professional the video needs to be and the purpose is. Also, do you want a complex or simple recording software.

GinjaGamer02

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Feb 3, 2016
YouTube
fraps isn't a bad recording software and has its merits but it also has its flaws. i don't personally use it but i would recommend it. although i recommend dxtory more as its easy to use for beginner but also can be great for professional use. hope this helps

Game Crash Studios

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 31, 2015
Would you recommend Fraps? I ask because recording fullscreen with OBS Studio messes up for me no matter what. Plus I've heard pretty good things about Fraps but I figured I'd ask cause maybe someone here has used it and can answer my inquiry.
For starting out and just wanting to record? Yes. If you want to get into a better more fleshed out software I would recommend DxTory. It's rather complicated and will take time to get used to but it's worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: GinjaGamer02

Vers

Jan 30, 2016
I use ShadowPlay and OBS. I have a Fraps license but never have use for it, the file sizes are massive using Fraps and iirc it's heavy on frames

TeamRespawn

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2015
YouTube
Nope, I recommend Shadowplay. Much nicer to use and the file size is so much smaller than fraps.

ShivGaming

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 26, 2016
Romania
YouTube
Well, Fraps is not bad, but if you have a decent PC try out Bandicam ( it's simple and works fine )
If you have nvidia graphics, ShadowPlay is very nice ( i use it and i like it )

frozenavaoxplays

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 8, 2016
YouTube
Yea I tried Fraps and even on my i5 4670k overclocked to 4.2ghz and my GTX 970 it caused major frame drops and just didn't look good. I use OBS Studio for all my recording in lossless quality. If the game caption option isn't working running in OBS Studio as administrator fixes it for me. Shadow Play is good too, but I prefer to record in lossless quality. Everyone has their preference tho and all computers are built differently. So, try all of them and see what works best for you.

C

Corpfox

Fraps is ideal for a mid to high end PC with tons of hard drive space.

Compare to Shadowplay, Fraps can record ANY PC game.

Been using Fraps over 7 years, so I don't mind its flaws.

ArmadeusK

New User
Freedom! Member
Sep 24, 2016
twitter.com
YouTube
Personally I would avoid Fraps like the plague, and go for something like Tinytake, BB Flashback Pro, or Camtasia(Very expensive though)
All of them run very well, all record in up to 1080pi with region selection, editors, etc.

If you've on a tight budget, OBS or Tinytake is probably your best choice...

Bluecoaster455MC

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 17, 2016
YouTube
Bluecoaster455i
Fraps is a neigh for me. I personnaly use OBS Classic (Multiplatform could work aswell). Fraps somewhat does not work with my computer. It somehow does not wanna record after like 30 seconds. However, it's supposed to give more fps than OBS. If your PC is good enough, you can handle 1080p 30fps on OBS like I do.

I got a GTX 750ti and I use it on OBS to get to that result. Although, you need to give it more bitrate to get approximatively the same quality as x264 in case you do livestreams. In my case, I can record minecraft and Geometry Dash 1080p 60fps. If you play a game that has more graphism, I wouldn't recommend putting that high quality.