gaining subscribers through what you want vs. what they want

Chronamut

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
What is your opinion on this?

I try my hardest to stay true to what I want to upload - but I find there are just certain things people hate and certain things people want, that may not line up with what "I" want to do.

Like I could submit a mlp video and get 10k + views and subscribers, or post a video of my music and get 50. It is frustrating because I don't just want to be a channel that provides the masses with what they want at the expense of my own happiness, but I also want to gain subscribers.

Enmoshin

Enmoo~
Jul 10, 2014
YouTube
That's the hard part isn't it?
Once you get viewers, you have to decide on whether you want to entertain them or do what you love.

Think about it in the long run.
If you keep doing what THEY want, how long can you keep it up? Will you get burned out? Or will you eventually start enjoying what you're doing?
Are subscribers / views that important if you're doing something you don't really love?

Stretch AdventureKS

That Skeleton!
Freedom! Member
Sep 4, 2014
YouTube
That's the hard part isn't it?
Once you get viewers, you have to decide on whether you want to entertain them or do what you love.

Think about it in the long run.
If you keep doing what THEY want, how long can you keep it up? Will you get burned out? Or will you eventually start enjoying what you're doing?
Are subscribers / views that important if you're doing something you don't really love?

I do think you pointed out some good questions there that everyone should answer. Thank you Enmoshin.

Reactions: Enmoshin

fattmat

Devourer of Cake + Crumpets.
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
www.questflinger.com
YouTube
What is your opinion on this?

I try my hardest to stay true to what I want to upload - but I find there are just certain things people hate and certain things people want, that may not line up with what "I" want to do.

Like I could submit a mlp video and get 10k + views and subscribers, or post a video of my music and get 50. It is frustrating because I don't just want to be a channel that provides the masses with what they want at the expense of my own happiness, but I also want to gain subscribers.
Selling out is a sad state at times. A lot of people can follow the formula for doing a let's play minecraft channel that caters to young audiences. Do what you feel is right.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
I generally just do what I want...
I already dedicate most of my time to my wife, kids and job. So when i have free time to play... I play what I want...

TheAimGames

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Apr 13, 2014
Where the sun doesn't shine
YouTube
For me, I post videos of what I want to post and sometimes, those videos are exactly what the audience wants. If I post videos that they don't watch, then they're missing out as events that happened in that video might be recalled in the future video and they won't get the joke of it. So to me, it's a loss for them.