What is your least favorite genre, and why?

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
RPGs, hands down, no second thoughts, period.

RPG games are the absolute worst for me. Almost every one I've played, I ended up rage-quitting. Skyrim, Mass Effect, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: What I hate about these games listed is the RPG aspect. I cannot level up if my life depended on it... and it does in these games. Games that many have called masterpieces, are the bane of my existence.

The problem is that I never know what skills and stuff to level up. I never know what armor or weapons to choose. But whatever I choose tends to screw me over. I have only completed one RPG game, as far as I can remember, called Elephant's Quest, which I played on Kongregate. Leveling up was more fun in that game. But seriously, I have NEVER been able to complete any other RPG game.

So yeah, I don't think that RPGs are bad by any means. I just hate them so much, that I'll probably never record another one of those kinds of games again. Well, I guess it depends.

Brent Cone

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Nov 21, 2014
Sweden
YouTube
(EDIT)
I was completely wrong!! xD

I thought it was FPS!! xD NOT RPG!! ;) I like Rpg games lol!! ;D Sorry!! :)

Last edited:

Stretch AdventureKS

That Skeleton!
Freedom! Member
Sep 4, 2014
YouTube
I'm not really a fan of RPG's too since they really don't really have the things I think a game needs in order to be good! ;)

From these RPG i've played you only kill.. that's it.

No awesome music, No characters you care about, No great gameplay, You name it! :)

If you say that Mass Effect has no awesome music, no characters you end up caring about, no great gameplay, if you think that let's say Kingdom Hearts doesn't have those, than my name is Courage the Cowardly Dog...and it's not xD There are obviously good RPGs out there that are pretty good and have these things that you think are missing. RPGs can be a least favorite genre to some, sure, we all have opinions, but don't be saying that a RPG cannot be great.[DOUBLEPOST=1443422823][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, my least favorite genre of gaming has to be sports games, I just find it the least interesting for me

Reactions: Brent Cone

Brent Cone

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Nov 21, 2014
Sweden
YouTube
If you say that Mass Effect has no awesome music, no characters you end up caring about, no great gameplay, if you think that let's say Kingdom Hearts doesn't have those, than my name is Courage the Cowardly Dog...and it's not xD There are obviously good RPGs out there that are pretty good and have these things that you think are missing. RPGs can be a least favorite genre to some, sure, we all have opinions, but don't be saying that a RPG cannot be great.
Haha! :) I haven't played that many RPG games but I have no problem with this genre at all! Don't get me wrong!
I just now saw that it said RPG and not FPS xD I completely these two mixed up!! What a twat I am! xD sorry!! I like RPG games.. lol :D

Reactions: Stretch AdventureKS

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
You guys need to try other RPG's. Sounds like you haven't found the one that is right for you.

RPG games are the absolute worst for me. Almost every one I've played, I ended up rage-quitting. Skyrim, Mass Effect, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: What I hate about these games listed is the RPG aspect. I cannot level up if my life depended on it... and it does in these games. Games that many have called masterpieces, are the bane of my existence.

The problem is that I never know what skills and stuff to level up. I never know what armor or weapons to choose. But whatever I choose tends to screw me over. I have only completed one RPG game, as far as I can remember, called Elephant's Quest, which I played on Kongregate. Leveling up was more fun in that game. But seriously, I have NEVER been able to complete any other RPG game.

So yeah, I don't think that RPGs are bad by any means. I just hate them so much, that I'll probably never record another one of those kinds of games again. Well, I guess it depends.

Some RPG's are fairly easy to level up in. Again it's just about finding the right one. I'd recommend a Tales game as those games make it fairly easy and straight forward to level up. Xillia 1 and 2 and Hearts R are the only tales games I am aware of that make you choose how to level up and even then it's fairly straight forward.

I'm not really a fan of RPG's too since they really don't really have the things I think a game needs in order to be good! ;)

From these RPG i've played you only kill.. that's it.

No awesome music, No characters you care about, No great gameplay, You name it! :)

Not sure which RPG's you have played but I'd also recommend a tales game to you. Their story is great and it isn't just about killing for the sake of killing you do it to stop a greater evil. The music is usually great and some of my favorite game soundtracks come from the Tales series RPG's. The characters are also something you will tend to care about and the gameplay I have always found to be really strong.

Music: Tales of Symphonia
Characters to care about: All of them (Though I found the character cast of Tales of Xillia 1 and 2 to be the best in this regard)
Gameplay: Tales of Graces F (It's very deep and if you look up some combo videos and solo boss runs it really looks cool)

Haha! :) I haven't played that many RPG games but I have no problem with this genre at all! Don't get me wrong!
I just now saw that it said RPG and not FPS xD I completely these two mixed up!! What a twat I am! xD sorry!! I like RPG games.. lol :D

Derp. Well that makes what I just wrote above pointless XD

Stretch AdventureKS

That Skeleton!
Freedom! Member
Sep 4, 2014
YouTube
You guys need to try other RPG's. Sounds like you haven't found the one that is right for you.

Some RPG's are fairly easy to level up in. Again it's just about finding the right one. I'd recommend a Tales game as those games make it fairly easy and straight forward to level up. Xillia 1 and 2 and Hearts R are the only tales games I am aware of that make you choose how to level up and even then it's fairly straight forward.

Not sure which RPG's you have played but I'd also recommend a tales game to you. Their story is great and it isn't just about killing for the sake of killing you do it to stop a greater evil. The music is usually great and some of my favorite game soundtracks come from the Tales series RPG's. The characters are also something you will tend to care about and the gameplay I have always found to be really strong.

Music: Tales of Symphonia
Characters to care about: All of them (Though I found the character cast of Tales of Xillia 1 and 2 to be the best in this regard)
Gameplay: Tales of Graces F (It's very deep and if you look up some combo videos and solo boss runs it really looks cool)

Derp. Well that makes what I just wrote above pointless XD

Pfff, hahaha xD Well it's not entirely pointless, you made your point and that is good. I do enjoy me some Tales games to, I cannot forget about the characters that it had, you end up caring about the characters involved in set Tales game.

But I can agree with the fact that there are RPGs out there that do have issues. I think from my experience, it seems that RPGs that have to do with fantasy elements, dragons, spells etc. (Western RPGs that is, not JRPGs) are the ones that do lack in some stuff for example characters that I do not end up caring. Might get some hate, but as much as I liked Oblivion when I was a kid, when I look back on playing Oblivion and Skyrim a couple years ago.... I just do not remember a single character that I cared about at all xD Gameplay wasn't really my style, and I barely remember any soundtracks. That does translate to other RPGs that have fantasy elements like Elder Scrolls. I guess that the RPGs that are of more interest to me are ones that seem a bit more different to me. Mass Effect is different, you don't have many space RPGs, KH is different, Fallout which is another favorite of mine is a post-apocalyptic RPG, which I don't see it done often.[DOUBLEPOST=1443424580][/DOUBLEPOST]
(EDIT)
I was completely wrong!! xD

I thought it was FPS!! xD NOT RPG!! ;) I like Rpg games lol!! ;D Sorry!! :)

Are you kidding me?!?! xD Well yeah, now it makes sense! Military FPS games do lack in what you mentioned quite a lot. But still, there are some good FPS games. Bioshock games for example, good stories, the most unforgettable quotes in games ever, beautiful worlds that you explore in set games etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brent Cone

HoodieAce

Freedom! Member
Nov 6, 2014
YouTube
I.... Don't like FPS... I guess the only FPS game I'll play is Destiny, but other than that... I don't find them appealing.

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube

Give South Park Stick of Truth a try...
The combat is pretty easy compared to most RPGS. ..

My most 'hated' genre... sports... I don't really hate any genre... but I just have a hard time enjoying sports games in general.

By sports I mean things like football, hockey, basketball, fishing, hunting.... I just feel like they're always missing something...

The worst part about them for me is the realism... I don't play games to experience real life... I want an exaggerated version of reality...

I want football with jet packs and guns...
I want to have to shoot targets while skiing...
I want to hunt in a zombie apocalypse...
I want basketball with tower defense...
I want hockey with full on arcade beat em up
I want to fish with a bow and arrow... on a river full of piranhas, crocodiles, and hippos.

Now those would be cool sports games ;)

Reactions: Corpfox

joaopneves

The Portuguese
Freedom! Member
Aug 24, 2015
Portugal
YouTube
I can't play games like LOL and Dota2 (so, MOBA genre games). Also, I'm not the best RPG player either. That's because I can't remember all that buttons and shortcuts. Also, they're all to much "confusing" graffically. There are literally a ton of things happening at once!

ScotiBot

Freedom! Member
Sep 30, 2015
Yeovil
YouTube
I cant play football games. Simply because I despise the sport as a whole. when people say football is a mans game I say "what's so manly about 22 overpaid pre maddonas running around for 90 minutes kicking a ball around and upon receiving the slightest tap going down like a snipers shot them?" I'm more of a rugby man myself

PinoyGamerChris

Respected User
Jul 12, 2015
YouTube
FPS and RTS.
1. I cannot play it long and it give me headache.
2. I am not good at it.
3. It's repetitive.
4. Not much Story.
5. I will let you know, if I can think some more.

S

Smacky Games

FPS - Most of games I played were not very good and are all the same. Still, I enjoy gems of the genre.

C

Corpfox

Sports - Never really good at it. Had fun playing NHLPA '93 on the SNES back then.

However, if its fun-related like Mario Golf, I'll enjoy it.