HealPleaseHeal

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jan 18, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
YouTube
HealPleaseHeal
Hey guys,

Now I'm not one to provide expert advise on anything Youtube related, I'm in no way an expert. But something I've noticed for a while is that many youtubers are still uploading content to their channels which showcases JUST the gameplay.

Now I personally don't have a problem with this, but Youtube does. This is just a reminder that if you upload just gameplay with no commentary, Youtube can take your video down (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). By not adding commentary Youtube sees that as copyright material and can under their own volition take the video down or give you a strike on your channel which in the long run isn't helpful.

So when it comes to monetizing; Yes, you can monetize all gameplay videos without permission, according to YouTube and Google, as long as your gameplay commentary adds instructional or educational value. Otherwise without commentary Youtube can remove the monetize from it and strike you.

Just a bit of information for those who might not know about it.
HPH_Potion_2.png

Reactions: zeke morgan

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Hey guys,

Now I'm not one to provide expert advise on anything Youtube related, I'm in no way an expert. But something I've noticed for a while is that many youtubers are still uploading content to their channels which showcases JUST the gameplay.

Now I personally don't have a problem with this, but Youtube does. This is just a reminder that if you upload just gameplay with no commentary, Youtube can take your video down (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). By not adding commentary Youtube sees that as copyright material and can under their own volition take the video down or give you a strike on your channel which in the long run isn't helpful.

So when it comes to monetizing; Yes, you can monetize all gameplay videos without permission, according to YouTube and Google, as long as your gameplay commentary adds instructional or educational value. Otherwise without commentary Youtube can remove the monetize from it and strike you.

Just a bit of information for those who might not know about it.
View attachment 19246
I have been a Gameplay only channel for about 4 years now and never had such trouble. Where did you find this info if i may ask?

HealPleaseHeal

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Jan 18, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
YouTube
HealPleaseHeal
This comes directly from Youtube rules regarding moneitzation.

"Without the appropriate license from the publisher, use of video game or software user interface must be minimal. Video game content may be monetized if the associated step-by-step commentary is strictly tied to the live action being shown and provides instructional or educational value.
Videos simply showing a user playing a video game or the use of software for extended periods of time may not be accepted for monetization."

You can find it here Video game and software content - YouTube Help

Now as I said, it's probably incorrect to say that you would get a strike, but it will remove monetization. Not sure how often this is implemented but just wanted to share to keep people in the know.

TheGaminCentral

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
YouTube
I think if people don't commentate on gaming videos then monetization for that video would be removed

Usgamers

Freedom! Member
Jan 19, 2015
YouTube
hdshowGFX
This comes directly from Youtube rules regarding moneitzation.

"Without the appropriate license from the publisher, use of video game or software user interface must be minimal. Video game content may be monetized if the associated step-by-step commentary is strictly tied to the live action being shown and provides instructional or educational value.
Videos simply showing a user playing a video game or the use of software for extended periods of time may not be accepted for monetization."

You can find it here Video game and software content - YouTube Help

Now as I said, it's probably incorrect to say that you would get a strike, but it will remove monetization. Not sure how often this is implemented but just wanted to share to keep people in the know.

The publisher decides if the video should get monetization and most of them are cool with it. some company's like Nintendo won't allow it.

Reactions: HealPleaseHeal